Sunday, January 04, 2009

Bye, bye...

As always when I have a lot to do, I blog! (Therefore I am?) Anyway, today is the last day before Pickfords descend and I am a little panicky. The dogs boarding mum is taking them up until the moment we actually leave for Cornwall on Tuesday evening so that Pluto in particularly, doesn’t get stressed. My partner pointed out that today would be the last day they spent in the house and I suddenly felt incredibly sad. It was pure projection, the dogs don’t give a hoot where they are as long as they are with us, but I guess it was the first time I really allowed myself to think of leaving in emotional terms rather than must do this, must do that...

I am sad, of course. I’ve loved this flat and I love London. Although owning my own home and moving to Cornwall are dreams, it doesn’t mean that this place and this time means any less. I moved back to London because it was always my home. I was born here and as a young gay writer, it was one of the best places to be in the world! But now, I’m a gay writer with a wife, two dogs, three chickens and a desire to reap what I sow – literally, I want to grow my own vegetables, to a lesser extent my own fruit, and eventually raise my own animals. And before that even, I want to raise my own children.

I like early nights and I’m rather too fond of my slippers. I don’t travel on night buses anymore, I drive a Hyundai. I do do wild and crazy things but on the understanding that I can do them sitting down. I still read Enid Blyton it’s just that now, they happen to be first editions. I have savings (not very much after buying a house!) but I do have savings, whereas at times in my life, I didn’t even have rent money...

I’m happy and I’m going to a place that will make me happier still, but it requires no small amount of daring do and it’s good to acknowledge that. Nobody can be brave all the time. But similarly it is equally important to acknowledge just how awesome London is. London probably saved my life. And this flat has been lovely too, it’s mine and my partner’s first home together. It’s Pluto and Bess’ first proper home ever, and it’s been a place of lots of visitors and lots of laughing and has been witness to some extraordinary moments in my life. But now it’s time to move on...

*Sigh* bye, bye Garden Flat!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:21 pm, March 22, 2010 , Blogger Eni said...

I am exhilarated to learn that you still read Enid Blyton. I too read Enid Blyton for my book on her, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.bbotw.com).
Stephen Isabirye

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home