Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

What a fantastic new year! We went up to the Cotswolds to see in NYE with some friends. We were supposed to stay over but because we couldn’t get a dog sitter we either had to not go, or drive back the same night – well, the next morning. We decided on the latter because we love our friends very much and always have a legendary good time and last night was no exception...

There were 11 of us, and my partner and I got there around 5.30pm after a great journey with almost no traffic. Music, homemade chilli, vodka jelly (not for me the designated driver!) and lots of giggling followed by a trip to a local dodgy pub where at one stage we were the only customers! A few more people did show up, but it was pretty much us, one cheesy DJ, a ‘light’ buffet (hula hoops and ham sandwiches anyone?), and some impressive attempts at pole dancing without a pole and thus ensued a totally fantastic new year! There was a free raffle and I won the main prize an enormous teddy bear (bigger than our dogs!) and a bottle of rose, which was particularly nice as I hadn’t been able to drink. Then back to the cottage for some Canadian ice wine – my first taste of what is apparently a rare and expensive wine – to toast the new year and because I could only have half a glass, our lovely host gave us a bottle to take away with us, which we’ll have tonight.

We were sad to go, not least because it will be the last time we see a couple of people for about six months (one in particularly, who is working in the States till July). We spent the whole evening just laughing our heads off, my friends getting drunker and sillier and me staying sober and still getting sillier. The pub was great, as soon as they realised I was driving, the landlord went upstairs to his flat and made me a coffee – and didn’t charge – which was really lovely. That and two red bulls meant I had all the stimulation I needed!

We headed home just after two and got in the door just after 4. I’ve only just got up and my partner is still in bed with a hangover.

Another legendary Shrivenham massive social... Happy New Year everyone!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home