Monday, October 15, 2007

A good mechanic and a nice piece of cake

What a domesticated weekend! We made bread, muffins, cakes and scones. Had family over for tea (and lots of cake), started on the big garden winter clear up and did some housework! I also watched a lot of rugby (see previous entries).

We also got the laptop wirelessly connected to the Internet. Ok, I say we, what I really mean is my partner. She was great and basically did all the work, including phoning our broadband provider when there were a few problems. I sat next to her making sympathetic and supporting noises. A tough job but somebody’s got to do it…

As it all kicked into life – the laptop saying, hey I can pick up the internet, the internet saying hello, I’m the internet would you like to go out sometime – a list of all the providers popped up with the prompt, which one do you want to pick? So we saw all the providers for our neighbours, and as there were 10 different choices, not just the neighbours upstairs and either side either. Their was even one that was unsecured so we could, in theory, just use the net without paying and presumably (although as you may have gathered I’m no expert) be able to see all of that persons internet files?! Naturally, we didn’t dream of doing that, well, not for long and just clicked on our provider and voila! The laptop is now truly mobile.

We were supposed to go to the cycle show and see Slighty’s Witcomb Bikes stand, but we didn’t make it in the end what with unexpected guests and a list of chores as long as your average inner tube. Apparently it went well though. They now have a 6 month waiting list. How fantastic! As I said in a text, in the sort of disposable ‘want it NOW!’ world we live in, how wonderful that people appreciate craftsmanship and quality and are prepared to wait for it.

We sent an email to a woman in Somerset who is selling land, which makes it even more imperative we see a mortgage advisor ASAP. It may come to nothing but for those of you that know me, you will appreciate I am a belt and braces sort and like having things organised and ready for when we do want to make a move…

Unfortunately I start off the week a little lame. (Even more so than usual.)Whilst clearing the garden yesterday I fell and banged my knees quite badly. I stopped work immediately, my partner ran me a bath and I rested for the rest of the afternoon – even using a crutch to take the weight off. I took painkillers and slept well and I think all that did make a huge difference although I am still sore. Ironically, tonight is my MRI scan. I have to move my legs and then they scan me as I move to see how bad the damage is. Think I might not tell them that I was carrying heavy stuff (a big no-no) and then fell on my knees because I’m a clumsy bugger.

By the way, before I sign off and throw myself into my work, I should say that I used Beekay garage in Hammersmith (near Ravenscourt tube) to get the car fixed last week. And so far I am very impressed. I am now booking the car in for a service. I liked the way they kept me informed and were so polite and friendly. When I asked for a quote for a service they told me they couldn’t give me one… I was a little perplexed, until they explained they check the car over for free and then call you and say this needs doing, this doesn’t need doing and then they give you a price and ask whether they can go ahead. In other words, they don’t do (or charge) you for work that doesn’t need doing. This seems to be both sensible and practical.

If you want reviews of garages, I think there is a website called the good garage scheme where real customers post their comments about the service and quality of work. For someone like me with no frame of reference with regards to garages or the work they do, and so who has to rely on trust, it’s really important to hear what other people think and have found using a particular garage. I’ve only used Beekay once, but I am impressed so far and will be using them again.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home