Thursday, March 29, 2007

Lego-licious

Slightly went to Bluewater shopping hell, sorry, mall, last night and spent his pocket money in the Lego store – they do home accessories! Who knew?! – which got me thinking about how much I used to love Lego. I used to have boxes and pillowcases full of the stuff. Every birthday and Christmas (same day) I would get massive sets of space Lego, racing car Lego, or one Christmas; ‘build an entire hospital with staff and patients’ Lego. It was my favourite thing – right up there with falling out of trees, my St. Bernard, army comics and a plastic electric guitar I had.

I went on the website and decided I might buy some, but then, strangely, I felt a bit self conscious: I’m a 33 year old woman, should I really be buying Lego? Well I’m a great believer in doing what makes you happy and if Lego makes you happy, then go for it. But I think my sudden yearning (other than being nostalgic, which clearly it was) was also that I have a hankering to build and craft things. For years I’ve wanted to do woodwork because I like the idea of constructing something myself. Admittedly I was thinking of bird houses and small items of furniture, arguable more useful that a 3 foot plastic scene from Return of the Jedi, but similar in that it is engaging and something you’ve built for your own joy and pleasure.

Lego, woodwork, needlework, whatever floats your boat… you should never listen to people who say you’re the wrong age or the wrong gender (in fact never listen to people that say stuff like that anyway, they’re idiots). So I will be getting a Yoda keyring and in fact, all of the Star Wars Lego did look very cool, but I think I might try and see just what I can build when I set my mind to it… if I turn out to have a hidden talent in bird house construction you’ll be the first to know…

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:54 am, March 30, 2007 , Blogger TM said...

LEGO ROCKS !

 
At 4:39 pm, March 30, 2007 , Blogger p said...

Ah, Lego - I spent soooo much money on Lego when I was a kid. Hours and hours of fun it was.

My little niece is now using the very same buckets of Lego...it lasts forever!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home