Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lord of the Viles

My commute to work was faster today because I was a little braver, trying a few shortcuts etc. But basically, at the end of the day; driving takes longer and the traffic is hideous but I arrive at work not stressed and in less pain with my knees. And to be honest, when it’s pouring down with rain, I much prefer to be in my lovely Peggy (I’m not being rude by the way; Peggy is the name of the car…)

BB has had the most amount of complaints ever. In fact as the complaints hit 10,000 + it might well have the accolade of being the most complained about programme, period. It’s very interesting because people are quite clearly very divided: is Shilpa being bullied or is Shilpa being racial abused? One of the most important things to consider is how does the woman in question view her treatment? BB claim Shilpa has not made any complaints about racism but is clearly becoming upset at being picked on and made fun of. (Although I would say, look at the hillbilly clan doing the picking, attractive and smart are two words they wouldn’t be able to spell on a scrabble board.)

I don’t watch BB, I think it is pointless and a shameful waste of money when we have hugely talented writers struggling to make their mark, never getting commissioned because budgets and airtime are being dedicated to watching so-called celebrities break down in public. (Public executions at the turn of the 20th Century often had more dignity.) But the snippets they play on the radio lead me to believe that the Goody clique and that other nobody are just being vile bitches. There does seem to be a hint of racism in some of the comments but really, it’s about the degradation of certain human beings in stressful situations – pick on the weak, to make yourself feel stronger. A more interesting question might to ask ourselves, have we ever done the same thing? Have we ever joined a pack and if not bullied someone ourselves, colluded in the bullying by not taking a stand and saying, hang on, this isn’t right…

Still BB is the winner. You couldn’t buy all this extra publicity (which will translate into viewing figures) especially not for a show that’s become so tired and homogenous. Let’s face it, I don’t even watch the bloody thing and I’m discussing it on my blog!

Shall we move on?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home