Monday, October 22, 2007

A new day

I’ve decided I want to see more rugby – premiership rugby. My two favourite teams (for various reasons) are Bath and Wasps. So last night I booked two tickets for my partner and I (who sportingly has agreed to go and see her first proper rugby match!) to see Wasps vs. Falcons in November and today I bought two more tickets to see Wasps vs. Sharks in March of next year. I also bought a Wasps t-shirt. Well, you’ve got to look the part!

I’m not at all interested in football but I think you’re looking at about £40 a ticket, so £20 to see a top-flight rugby match is good value I think. We are trying to save money so sadly, I won’t be going week in, week out (who has the time anyway?!) but it means going three or four times a season – maybe more – is very doable.

I also emailed a friend to see if he wants to go down to Bath in January to watch them take on Gloucester at home.

Having lived overseas for so many years, I was always more interested in the national team because I didn’t ‘grow up’ with an area team such as Wasps or Bath, but rather chose them when I was in my mid-teens as the most interesting teams because (a) I was a Londoner and (b) I loved Bath (the place and the team) and Bath, let’s face it, are rugby royalty. Ok, so some fans would be cringing and saying that’s not enough! You choose one team – because of where you were born or because of family allegiance – and that’s it for life! But in my defence I’ve always loved my rugby, I’ve contributed a hell of a lot to rugby in the last five years and at least I’m getting out there to see a few games… (I’m also probably one of the VERY few people who have done a photoshoot at Twickenham!)

Like slowing down to see a car crash, I can’t help but read the acres of written discourse about the final, even though it makes me a bit depressed because in case any of you didn’t realise, we lost! Interesting how magnanimous England have been; praising the “better team”, accepting the referee’s decision in disallowing what was clearly a try… I think that’s part of who we are and it’s another thing that makes me proud. Shame some other teams couldn’t adopt that gracious in victory and defeat attitude.

Anyway, for those of you that don’t like rugby, I’m sure you’d like me to move on now. So it’s fair to say, England have left the building…

We had a lovely weekend with our friends, plying them with good food and booze (we don’t like guest to be hungry or sober!). We’re looking forward to them moving to London in a couple of weeks and are already planning dinner and a day-out.

My partner’s sponsored walk was a huge success and she alone has raised over £300. A fantastic achievement for a very worthy cause. (www.sidalidonations.net)

She was pretty tired on Sunday – mentally more than physically (she’s quite fit anyway) but then seeing as it was her idea and she did all the organising, it’s no surprise really. We had a lazy day and I surpassed myself in the kitchen – butternut squash, pine nuts, onions, black pepper and cheese in puff pastry parcels. Absolutely bloody gorgeous!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home