Thursday, March 20, 2008

Classy

I can’t believe I’m up so early. For two reasons; one is that I’m working from home today and the whole point of working from home is to lay-in and start work when you feel like it. As long as you get everything done and done well, you could start at 4am or 4pm! The other reason is I drank an entire bottle of rather fine rioja by myself last night. My partner didn’t want to drink and I hate waste... but despite this, I’m up and although I wouldn’t say ‘at ‘em’ just yet , I can definitely sense an ‘at ‘em’ on the horizon...

We watched a funny programme on class last night, ‘the grumpy guide to class’ (I had downloaded it on iPlayer). UK viewers will be familiar with the format: famous middle aged grumpy people espousing about things that bother them! My partner and I have talked a lot about class, mainly because we don’t really understand it – I am working class, she is middle class, this we understand. But apparently when we have children they will be middle class. Does middle trump working? Is it like having a better hand at poker? Anyway, I was once told I couldn’t possibly be working class because I spoke too well. To which I replied (articulately and with eloquence - is that pompous and un-working class enough for you?) that I was sorry I hadn’t realised my place much sooner in life and that I would immediately issue a badly written memo on the back of butcher's receipt, reminding the working class that (a) education was dangerous and to be feared and (f) that even if we did have a decent vocabulary we should refrain from using it in public and stick to one-syllable words and speaking like we either worked on a 1930’s market stall or down a mine circa 1950.

I did indeed issue aforementioned memo but of course, none of us can read so it was wasted...

Most countries have either never bothered or moved on from the vexing issue of class. Not Britain - we love a challenge. I don't think there is any kudos in being working class, but it doesn't bother me either. I have to say though, largely speaking, I don’t give a monkey’s arse about the whole thing!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home