Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Disabled fightback!

I just had to see Occupational Health because my organisation has decided that because they are crap, treat people badly and don’t know what they’re doing half the time, that they only thing that would make them feel better is picking on disabled people. Because we’re all in wheelchairs, or can’t see or can’t hear or something like that… right? Wrong.

I work one day a week from home. As someone with severe mobility problems who has to travel quite far to and from work (well, actually, it’s only 12.5 miles but in London that distance takes on average over an hour and a half!) I asked to work from home one day a week about two years ago and have been doing it ever since. This has NEVER been a problem. Unfortunately, out of the blue, my boss has decided that actually, this is a problem and she wants me in five days a week. Anyway, luckily for me, OH disagree, they think working from home is a “reasonable adjustment”. In fact the doctor was a bit baffled why they couldn’t see this themselves. However, she doesn’t make the final decision. She makes her recommendations and HR make a final decision taking all the facts into account. However, seeing as my boss is also the boss of HR, it will be interesting to see how this pans out…

I’m beginning to see that it’s just another symptom of a rotten company. When the chips are down; take it out on staff because whilst senior management talk about accountability and responsibility, they don’t want to actually do anything about it. It seems they are too busy sucking up to new regimes and saving their jobs.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home