Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The problem is...

I know it seems a bit ungrateful to be moaning about my job when I have a job interview lined up and have actually just posted off another application for another very good job, but I don’t care, it’s my blog and I’ll whinge if I want too…

After a great bank holiday weekend I was sat at home last night dreading work this morning. Isn’t that terrible? In a nutshell the problems are these: we did badly in an inspection, our company told us that we were going to legally challenge the findings because the report that was written about the inspection was full of contradictions and inaccuracies. This gave demoralised staff something to cheer about – despite the devastation of working hard but doing badly and losing a much loved CEO in the process it appeared that we were going to fight them on the beaches!

Except we’re not.

It looks like we will give in and the inspection will stand - nice message to those that invested a lot of time and skills in us doing well. We get no information – even fairly senior people (myself included, and higher) don’t know what is going on from one day to the next.

We now have a new CEO who’s a strange man to say the least. He believes in bringing in consultants (all of whom, it seems, are old friends of his) without necessarily consulting with the team who is being reviewed. Like the lottery advert says, it could be you! So we look to our immediate managers for support and answers only to find they’ve raised the drawbridge and have decided in less than subtle ways that it’s every man, woman and child for themselves. In short, while axes are swinging heads will be kept low and unlike the marines, they are perfectly happy to leave men behind… worse, some of us have found our managers becoming quite unpleasant as they seek to shift their own failures on to more junior shoulders.

Part of me really doesn’t care. But then part of me; that irritating part that is ethical, moral and principled really does care. I am paid to do a job and usually I do it well. That job is funded out of public funds and so doing it well should be a minimum standard; except that’s very hard to do when you are dealing with the sort of people I am currently dealing with…

*Sigh*

As I mentioned in my blog entry yesterday I am starting my research for my job interview in earnest. I have a folder full of information to help me go in with as much of an advantage as possible. I’m really looking forward to the interview. I don’t know how many are on the shortlist but I’m just going to try my best and well, hope for the best!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home