Friday, April 07, 2006

Bird poo not bird flu

I try not to be one of those people that live for the weekend, it seems like such a waste of five other days. Don't get me wrong, despite an annoyingly cheerful and positive disposition, there are plenty of occasions when I want to shove a Monday morning or a Wednesday afternoon up the arse of someone who happens to be standing on my one remaining nerve, but I try and value time and see even small things as achievements. We all have days which are frankly, less productive than they ought to be but then there are days when we work too hard and too long, so it all balances out in the end. All that said, I'm so glad it's Friday and I get to sleep in tomorrow morning! :0)
Pluto and I had a great walk this morning. It was a bit overcast but dry and not too cold. We saw the speed walking grannies, one of whom called out, "he's doing so well isn't he. He's such a good boy!" I swear Pluto looked at me and grinned. I smiled as well: until I taught him not to (because it's a bad thing to do and also because we could potentially get sued), he would always run up behind them and attempt to trip them up...
I saw a robin have a crap. The robin is one of my favourite birds but seeing one of them poo was a moment neither of us needed to share. I really want to try and attract more birds into our garden but so far they have ignored my attempts at friendship and the fat balls and peanuts remained untouched and unloved although Pluto did try and nick the nuts until I put them out of his reach.
The herbal drops are making him very mellow and it's nice that he has all the energy still but without perhaps a little bit of the anxiety that he was exhibiting at night.
Tonight me and the missus are off to see Tsotsi, the film set in the South African townships. I used to live in South Africa, it will be interesting to see what memories are stirred...
Incidentally I don't know if ignorance is bliss, but is anyone really frightened of bird flu? I know it's reached the UK but it seems so unreal and I have blind faith that someone will sort it all out before it reaches SE26... although who that someone is, is anyone's guess. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to attract more birds into the garden?!
TOP TIP: If your dog has a really strong jaw and laughs in the face of so called indestructible dog toys, don't waste your money on them. If you don't drink soft drinks yourself, get friends and neighbours to donate their empty 0.5 litre bottles of coke, lucozade, water, whatever, wash them out and remove any labels. Put a few bits of food or treat in the bottle - preferably something hard that will make a rattling sound - and do the top up, but not too tightly. Pluto will spend HOURS chewing on the bottle, sometimes managing to get to the treats, other times chewing the top into an impenetrable mass of slobbery plastic but the point is, he loves it and it doesn't cost me a penny! And on the subject of dog stuff, if it's for pets it's always for some reason more expensive. Dog poo bags are a quid for twenty, nappysacks however are 50p for 100. Personally I swear by Ocado bags - nice and thick!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home