Thursday, April 12, 2007

Talent 101


Last night I had a photo assignment for work – a youth talent show – hence the very late finish. And really, as much as I believe youth are seriously misjudged, maligned and put upon nowadays I still don’t really ‘get’ them. Not in a horrible way, I just don’t know any. They are only doing exactly what I did as a young person (posture, brag, bounce around with superhuman energy, not understand anyone over 25, wear ridiculous clothes etc.) but of course, I’m 33 years old now and it all seems like a foreign country…

The level of talent was very high and they were a really fantastic group of people. The dance groups were awesome. (Ok, again I’m going on about age, but does anyone my generation remember boys ever being that mobile? These 14 – 16 years were like professional dancers… it was incredible. It was all a girl could do to get a boy on the dance floor at the school disco when I was 14. And then you instantly regretted it because they moved like they were in pain.)

Cherise and Nadia from Big Brovaz were two of the judges and they were great too. Really patient and good natured with boys wanting to kiss and flirt with them and girls wanting to talk to them and ask advice. They didn’t even seem to mind when the host got flustered and told the crowd they were from Big Brother.

A dance troupe called Nocturnal won – a popular choice. They reminded me a little of NWA and Janet Jackson (strange mix but I shall explain…) in that some of the dancing was very militaristic. Whatever their inspiration, it was brilliantly done. The ‘head’ dancer gave me a card and told me they could do weddings. Now there’s a young man that’s going places…

The only one out of place was a small fella who I think was supposed to be an MC. He was accompanied by a fairly talented singer who did all the work while little-un’ stood at the back in enormous sunglasses occasionally saying “yo, yo…” Not his finest hour I fear.

The kids came up to thank the judges and the volunteers afterwards and I just wished every Tory councillor (actually every councillor) could have been there to witness the talent and enthusiasm, fun and graciousness of the same people they treat with fear and contempt.

We have friends coming over for dinner tonight. We’re hoping to persuade them to come with us to S’Africa next year and to sweeten the deal will be cooking vetkoek, mealies and pumpkin fritters. And if you don’t know what the first two are, you can always Google them ;0)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home