Thursday, November 08, 2007

Sun and doves

We’re not going to buy the house. It’s just the wrong time for us :0(

Actually I’m OK about it, it does make sense to wait until next summer – after the wedding. And it’s always a mistake to be suckered into the mindset of ‘it’s this or nothing!’ there will be other good deals, and for anyone that knows Cornwall there are so many beautiful places to live it doesn’t really matter where we end up. I was a little bit emotional; this week I came very close to owning my own home and that’s very important to me *sigh*

We went to dinner last night: the Sun and Doves gastropub in Camberwell. The service was fantastic. So friendly; from making the booking on the phone, to ordering the food to saying goodbye at the end of our evening. I had smoked haddock with bubble and squeak and poached egg and my companion (i.e., my partner but food critics always say “my companion”) had butternut squash with goats cheese and sundried tomatoes… very, very tasty, especially mine but not particularly hot. It was like they had been freshly made and then there had been a really lengthy delay before it reached our table. That was a bit of a shame, but I genuinely enjoyed mine and it wasn’t till afterwards that my partner remembered she didn’t really like goat’s cheese and yet she'd enjoyed her meal! We had the tokens from the Indy – £10 for a main and a glass of rioja. I’ve never done the token thing before. I have to say, we really didn’t save anything! My meal was £7.50 and I would imagine a small glass of wine would be about £2.50 so actually the tokens seemed a little pointless and we didn’t feel we gained anything at all, except knowledge of a friendly, attractive (lots of interesting art on the wall) pub. I ordered a banoffee pie afterwards which was heavenly but did make me very full. So with that, an extra glass of wine and a bottle of water we actually spent what we would have spent anyway! I think if we do tokens again, we might try to ensure you get a little extra because I thought that was the point… but that aside, I think if you visit the pub you won’t be disappointed, you may even feel you’ve discovered something of a gem. Just make sure the food is hot!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home