Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tattoo!

I’m having a tattoo! (On Thursday at 4.30pm to be precise!) I’ve wanted a tattoo for ages and I just never got around to it. It wasn’t the pain that put me off – it’s not that painful I’m told. It wasn’t even that it’s permanent – I have a dozen scars that are also permanent and a lot less interesting! (And really, if it bothers you that much you can just laser the sucker off).

I’m not trying to be rebellious or edgy (I’m 34 so I’m pretty sure that’s not allowed at my age anyway). I’m not waiting for a sharp intake of breath and mutterings of disapproval. I’m just doing it for me and if my family and friends like it, cool. If they don’t, I’ll just wear a sock on my arm every time I see them…

In case you’re wondering; the design is 3 stars – different sizes – on the inside of my right forearm and the reason I’m having it done is I’m fed up with my knees. I realise that’s a pretty unconventional answer but as my knees gets worse, things are happening to my body that I have no control of and which, well, hurt. A lot. So I’m choosing to do something to my body which I have control of and which will look good. It makes sense to me anyway and that’s all that’s important.

I will post a pic when it’s done, but more importantly I’ll blog about the tattooist because it wasn’t easy finding somewhere to go. Some I spoke to were so far up their arse there was an echo on the line. It felt that by not already being covered in body art they weren’t really interested in my simple design and consequently I wasn’t interested in giving them my simple cash. Others weren’t unfriendly but just seemed a bit rushed or stand-offish, which understandably also put me off. This is, after all, quite an intimate process and you want to feel relaxed and confident in the person’s abilities. The tattooist I’m using in Hammersmith seems talented, cool and very friendly. Now there’s a thing.

Of course they do say that people become addicted. They go in for one small design and 12 months later they have a full sized komodo dragon tattooed from their ankle to their armpit…

I have a feeling though I might just settle for my three stars. I don’t want to get greedy…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home