Thursday, July 31, 2008

Card fraud

Me. Again. But this is important.

I was possibly the most complacent person when it came to credit/debit card fraud probably because I always thought it affected people that earnt more than me! However, one of my cards has been hit again. First it was my Capital One credit card and kudos to them for reacting so blimmin’ swiftly, and now it’s my current account debit card.

I noticed a really strange transaction for £16.82 and I could not for the life of me place what it was. The problem is that I do most of my shopping online. (Actual shops are not designed for grumpy people with poorly knees.) And so I often get strange entries on my account, but despite this I can usually account for them, but something about this entry made me call my bank because I really, really didn’t know what it was. Anyway, it had already been flagged up by the bank’s anti-fraud team and it turns out it was indeed a bogus transaction. (Bogus is such a great word.)

They are investigating and I’m being sent a new card and will eventually get the £16.82 back, but had I not listened to my instincts, it would have led to several more small transactions and then usually one big whopper of a transaction when they realise the dodgy activity hasn't been spotted. So this entry is just to tell you to check your online or paper statements and seriously don’t be such a goose that you see something odd, but then don’t do anything about it. Because the next thing, you’ll be a shop trying to use your card and 17 overweight security men will jump on you… actually I’m not sure that’s true, but you get the idea. Check and double check again because these toe rags really are out to get you...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home