Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Twickers knickers


In the land of the small dog, the medium sized dog is king. Today at the park, it semed only small dogs were taking their constitutionals. Pluto played with a gorgeous little Westie until he got overexcited and stood on her (he's used to playing with much bigger dogs and didn't quite grasp the size differential). I enjoyed chatting with her owner as well - a gayer and a seemingly very nice chap.
Yesterday I had a spiritual experience. Not that whole Jesus thing, but rather that whole England rugby thing. I had organised a photo shoot at Twickenham with the Met Police who sponsor the Kings Cross Steelers and it was a fantastic day. We were treated like VIP's and I must admit when a tour party saw us being ushered into a changing room, I felt a little smug and proud to be in my club colours!
The RFU have been fantastically supportive of the club. Governing bodies can be stuffy and far removed from the lower divisions but we haven't found that to be the case with them. And when we launch the posters, the president himself has asked to be there. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Why were we doing a photo shoot at Twickers? Well, the police have the problem of wanting people to report hate crime but realising that some communities, the black community and the gay community for example, are not comfortable dealing with the Fuzz. So they champion third party reporting and what are called True Vision packs. It means you can report crime but anonymously, if you so wish. That does have value, because it means if they get lots of reports about homophobic abuse on a particular street, they can use that intelligence to step up patrols, talk to local businesses etc., etc. But it also reinforces the message whether you choose to go to a police station, call 999 or fill out a form (with or without including your name) the police will take you seriously and treat you with respect - well, in theory. You get arseholes in every organisation. So anyway, we are doing a national poster campaign "The Kings Cross Steelers and the Met Police Tackle Hate Crime" and I organised for us to do the photos - which will be used on the posters and leaflets - at Twickenham. We looked great all stood under the goal at the north end and our feet touching that hallowed turf. Did anyone walk out of the players tunnel and not hear 72,000 people silently roar their approval? I certainly did. Ah, if only...
We went on the tour (second time for me, but still interesting) and the shopped in the store. Managed to get a couple of presents; for our American friend's little boy, and my partner's two and a half year old goddaughter, who if I have anything to do with it will grow up loving the greatest sport on earth. My indoctrination is subtle, every other present has a rugby theme! My partner is off to Rwanda and Uganda at the end of the week and her goddaughter is half Ugandan so I have asked her to pick me up a Ugandan rugby t-shirt in the smallest size possible! She can play any sport as long as it's rugby, for any country, as long as it's England!!!
Some of the boys tried to persuade me to buy some ladies Twickers knickers, but I managed to resist! It really was a great day and a proud moment in our club's history. (Incidentally, we were in the shop when a rather attractive woman asked my Chairman, are you the Kings Cross Steelers? He replied in the affirmative and asked her how she knew. She replied she recognised our club logo and then gave me a big smile!)
I have to go and eat some of my partner's home made parsnip soup now as I'm a little under the weather and I'm convinced that will cure me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home