Friday, August 18, 2006

First test

Well it's been a rough couple of days. Yesterday we saw mum's consultant at Guy's. It was the first time I got to speak to one of the team about what these brain changes actually meant. To hear the words "the cancer may have spread to the lining of the brain" was particularly chilling. That said, I'm one of those people that feel much more in control when I'm kept informed so I actually felt better after the meeting. Today, we've been at the hospital most of the day because they rushed mum in for a lumber punch (removing fluid from the base of the spine to check for cancerous cells - it can be painful and you have to lay flat on your back for hours afterwards). If this test comes back negative, she has to have two more lumber punch's over a 16 week cycle. If all are negative, she gets the all-clear. If not, they start radiotherapy to the brain imediately.
Is it just me or could you eat your own body weight in crap in hospitals? If you're not bored, you're anxious and you'll do anything to pass the time. I ate a cheese crossaint, an apple danish and a bar of chocolate. We were only there from 9:45 to 2:30!
Anyway, we find out the results of the first LP next Thursday.

I bought the dog some tennis balls (one of his favourite toys) and he's already eaten two. This is why the little bugger gets ill! Still at least he's bounced back from that nasty bug. He's back on his own food (although I suspect he rather enjoyed being made fresh rice and eggs for dinner!) and we're walking back over the park again.

Last night we went for dinner with some old friends. It was nice, not just to see them (they are fantastic company), but because I felt like everyone else and for a little while could switch off and just enjoy myself.

Tomorrow we're off to Lewes where a friend of ours lives. Every year the town puts on an outdoor play at the castle. This year it's Tom Jones. My partner's brother is staying for the weekend to look after the dog and there were no complications today so we're getting a train down tomorrow afternoon. I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyway, I think I need a nap... I'm knackered!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home