Friday, September 22, 2006

Unclean, unclean...

I think I have a bug. Well, I think I had a bug and now it’s bugged off. I’d been having mild stomach cramps for a couple of days. Yesterday they got a lot worse! I really struggled on the train into work. The pain was really bad and I was feeling nauseas. Anyway, I got to Victoria without incident, went down to get my tube and had to come straight back up again. I found a bench and had a much needed sit-down (a guy asked me if I was OK, I’d gone grey). That was enough for me I got a train straight home. I did manage to do some work so the day wasn’t totally wasted. But now I kind of feel OK – perhaps not 100% but not ill. How weird. Anyway, my partner has made me promise to make a doctor’s appointment and I don’t break promises. To be fair, this is not a knee jerk reaction, I’ve had problems with my stomach before and I’ve always conveniently forgotten to tell the doctor about it…

I’m seeing an osteopath again. Just some back niggles. (If I was a dog, you might be tempted to put me down…)
Anyway, my philosophy is, pay in pounds now and don’t pay in pain and immobility later! (OK, so it’s not the catchiest catch phrase, but you get the idea.) I’ve also ordered a new chair for my office and a new pillow – which has already arrived and is very comfortable. My friend who lives upstairs has back problems. His spine was in a sort of C shape for a little while. Not a great look. He’s been in serious pain and is still off work. So that was what prompted me to be a little proactive and look after myself. And on that note, I heartily recommend the British School of Osteopathy (the oldest and largest school of its kind in Britain).
You first session (which is longer because they ask lots of questions) is £19 after which it is £16 a session. In London, on average, for a private osteopath you pay £40 a session. What are the differences you might ask? Well, you get seen by senior students but every session, every course of treatment is authorised by a senior lecturer. In the first session I was seen by two students – both of them very nice. And since then, I have just been seen by the female student. I actually think this approach is probably more effective: many heads and all that. But I have been several times over the years and I have never had an osteopath that wasn’t highly competent, thorough and kind. http://www.bso.ac.uk/

I start driving lessons in a week and a half. My new provisional licence finally arrived (it had my old address on it and it can cost you a £1000 fine if you have the wrong details). Before we drive up to Yorkshire I want 5 hours of formal driving instructor practice and 5 hours – at least – of private practice. Although I used to be a good driver when I drove with friends and my mum, I think it naïve after all these years to think I can just jump in the car and speed off into the sunset.

What else, well my course starts tonight. I’m a little more familiar with my camera – a little less scared of pressing a button and asking what does this do?! My CF card arrived from Amazon yesterday. My Tamrac camera bag arrived this morning and I am ladies and gentlemen, as ready as I’ll ever be…

TOP TIP: Amazon is pretty cool for accessories and of course, things like CF [Compact Flash] memory cards. I knew I wanted 1GB card, but which make? Well Currys, Dixon’s and Jessops all did 1GB cards for around £50/£60. I went on Amazon and could read real reviews from real people about the cards they recommended. I chose a San Disk extreme III because the people that were using it were using it in my type of camera, primarily the 350D; it also scored 5 out of 5. Guess how much it cost? £30!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home