Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Single lens reflex

I need to be more focused at work. For example, right now, I’m blogging and I should be working. Sometimes I go great guns but all too often I drift… apparently it’s a creative thing. A former manager once told me it’s very difficult to manage very creative people of which he considered me one. They get bored, distracted and unless the task is in itself creative, they can be uncommitted. Hmmm, methinks he might have had a point…
Anyway, I must pull my socks up but while I’m here I might as well finish my blog!

I forgot to mention about our weekend away that Pluto did the most extraordinary thing. We were walking along the river when he suddenly decided to jump in, swim in a circle and then climb out – and all without a gruffle or bark of explanation. This is all the more unusual because generally he’s not keen on water. Or so we thought. We now know that not only can he swim (which is something) but that he is also occasionally moved to throw himself in. My partner was over the moon because for some reason she keeps trying to tempt him into the water, but I suspect she hasn’t thought this through: a wet dog needs to shake and everyone knows, a dog likes to shake best when surrounded by the people he loves most, or as an added bonus, when he is standing on a light coloured carpet surrounded by light coloured walls...

I need to buy a digital SLR but am baulking at the cost. However, with my photography course starting in just over a week I have no choice. It’s both exciting and daunting to be starting my new course so soon. Am I going to be surrounded by people who know much more than me? (Not hard some of the less charitable of you might say, but I am concerned that everyone is going to be a camera geek with years of experience.) Also I bought a camera magazine this morning and some of the language is very complicated. I’m sure that within a couple of weeks I too will sound like a camera geek but in the meantime I shall just have to take lots of notes and hope for the best!

September the 11th passed quietly by yesterday. I thought briefly of Mark Bingham and the people caught up in the events of five years ago and I wondered if we’ll ever truly learn anything from disaster. Sadly I suspect it’s our lot to always rage and hate and blame other people for situations in which we are all complicit. Rest in peace could apply as much to now and to the living as it does to the past and those we’ve lost…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home