Monday, September 24, 2007

Farming life

We spent the weekend volunteering at a fantastic farm in Bedfordshire. It was the best experience of volunteering so far. We stayed in caravan – it was massive. But more importantly it was clean, very comfortable, had electricity and was quite secluded being in the woods. The farm has three woods in, or as part of the property – the Great wood (which extends well beyond the farm’s boundaries), Badgers woods and Joffs wood. They had chickens, geese, ducks, guinea fowl, rare-breed sheep, one dog and a variety of wildlife that belonged to no one in particular. The food was gorgeous! We ate salad and vegetables from the kitchen garden, fresh (just laid!) eggs, bread made with wheat grown on the farm and homemade jam and marmalade…

We chopped wood, potted plants in the nursery, cleaned chicken runs, collected eggs and fed animals. And I spent a lot of time playing with the dog on account of missing our own dog who was having a weekend with his mates.

I caught the sun and we worked really hard, and although my knees were very sore, I felt really healthy. The farmer we stayed with is a wealth of information; tips and hints, guidance and advice, all hopefully stored ready for when we are able to get our own smallholding.

Now having to battle through London traffic only to then be stuck in an office all day (and yes, I really don’t mind being out in the rain and cold; there is no inappropriate weather only inappropriate clothing) seems a little unfair…

Anyway, we were delighted to be reunited with Mr. P and have organised, in addition to his twice daily walks, for his boarding mum to take him out every Tuesday for an extra long walk. I’m sure he will be pleased. He’s very fond of her, and he’s very fond of long walks!

When we got back on Sunday evening, I ordered a new pair of wellies. Which made me very happy. As anyone will tell you, chickens and cleaning out animals generally, is far better done in a sturdy pair of wellies than it is in an expensive pair of walking boots!

I came tantaslisingly close to driving a tractor as well, but in the end, we didn’t have time. But the farmer has promised me that I can have a go next time!

My laptop is due to arrive this week. More excitement. Honestly, I don’t know how I don’t spend my days in an advanced state of giddiness…

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home