Thursday, October 04, 2007

What is the cost of kindness?

£1 apparently! I was on my way to my photo shoot today via Lewisham because I wanted to pick some stuff up from Millets (the outdoor shop I always use, more of that later). I parked in a side street by a parking meter (next to a car park) only to discover the smallest I had was a fiver. Worse, traffic wardens were prowling… three of them, writing out tickets, losing a little bit more of their soul each time they slapped a ticket on a windscreen… I asked one of them whether they knew where I could get some change but got little more than a shrug in reply. Then I saw the guys that hand wash the cars in car parks and asked one of them if they could change my £5. He couldn’t so he gave me a £1 and said, give it to me when you can…

I raced back to the car, got a ticket and then went to the shops. I did get some change after I had done my shopping, and found him again to give him back his pound. I know it was only a pound, but I was really touched. He didn’t know me and certainly didn’t know whether he could trust me. Anyway, I felt that he was very wonderful for doing it.

I alway use Millets in Lewisham. A lot of people use Millets because their prices are quite good, but I always use them because the service is great. I have never had a bad experience in Lewisham Millets. They rock. We’ve bought boots, clothes, equipment, a £200 tent… and each time they’ve been really good.

So I told them that! (I’ve written to their head office before and my letter was published in the staff magazine that goes all over the country!) But today I told the woman who served me as well. She positively glowed and seemed really delighted that she was being appreciated!

The photo shoot was OK – but only three people turned up so we’ll have to do a follow up. The lunch was very nice though!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home