Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Play a song for me Applejack...

Why is American politics more interesting than British politics? Apart from the amounts of money they spend on their election campaigns which I personally think is obscene, I am far more interested in politics across the water than I am in my own backyard.

I am, on a scale of 1 to 10 a 6 or 7, when it comes to being politically engaged. I vote, I write to my MP on issues that concern me or which I think need highlighting, I have a good understanding of current affairs, I sign petitions, I read the broadsheets and although I have a favourite paper, I don’t confine myself to just one news source. But sometimes, British politics is as dull as a dull thing and when you have Hils’ and Obama slugging it out politicians such as Cameron and Brown just fade into the background. In my defence what happens in Washington does have a massive impact on the rest of the world; just look at W’s reign of terror. The only leader to devise international and domestic policies using alphabetty spaghetti…

I’m feeling philosophical today. I have the post-holiday blues. Fighting through traffic, ignorant drivers, sitting in an office, wading through emails I don’t really care about… sound familiar? I’m trying to remain upbeat, often people know they want change but don’t know what or when, I have the answer to both of these questions and the determination and resources to achieve everything I want. I am very lucky in that regard. But I am allowing myself to feel a little down because really, I want to be anywhere but in my office today. And yes, if that anywhere was back in Cornwall I would be a very happy budgie indeed!

Our holiday photos should arrive today. I didn’t take all that many, well, probably a lot compared to most people, but not a lot for me. We got some fantastic shots of the dog playing on the beach, one or two we will probably frame. And some gorgeous seascapes of Widemouth Bay.

I’m using my new lunchbox that I purchased in Boscastle. It’s an Emma Bridgewater design with pictures of diggers and tractors and let me tell you, it’s turned quite a few heads already! I figure if you bring lunch in, why not have a stylish lunch box?! Nobody likes squashed and fluffy sandwiches that have been at the bottom of your bag for most of the day…

Well I can’t hide from the grind of the day job much longer, but I can tell you that I am listening to Dolly Parton’s Applejack very loudly on my MP3 and am feeling much better already ;0)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home