Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

I think it’s no secret my clubbing days are over. In my mid to late twenties and early thirties I sort of did what people do when they are 18 or 19... except I did it when I was 18 and 19 as well! I loved dance music and one of my favourite musicians is still DJ Paul van Dyk.

As my knees got progressively worse there were practical and painful reasons to make a lifestyle adjustment, but actually there was a mental shift as well. I’ve always been a homebody and as I got older being at home became more important. Being squashed up against friendly but sweaty strangers, spending a fortune to get into clubs, up all night and then having to go to work the next day – all familiar I’m sure! – just became less fun. Coupled with this sea change, is a severe dislike of New Year. I’ve always gone to parties but never really enjoyed myself...

There’s two reasons I think, one is I hate being told what to do and being told I have to enjoy myself and go crazy makes me want to do anything but. And people either become manically depressed about how much they haven’t achieved in the previous year, or maniacally intent on setting unrealistic goals that they will break by February and then feel disgusted at their own inability to achieve impossible targets.

So if you want them (and please don’t feel obliged) here are my top tips for NYE:

1. Don’t feel pressured to go out – staying in is the new going out
2. Or, if you do want to go out, do something different; drive to a beach, sit on a hill and watch the fireworks, go for a meal, walk the dog at middnight, go bowling... (Slightly decided at the last minute to jump in the car and spend NY in Cornwall, they are sleeping in the car! I think that's cool)
3. Spend it with a person or people you love, not people who you think you should spend it with (good tip for Christmas too!)
4. Don’t make resolutions, if something is that important to you, you shouldn’t wait for December 31st, you should do it straight away
5. If you do decide you like the symbolism of setting targets at NY then make them realistic and don’t announce to the world that you are going to give up smoking and then try to hide the fact you’re still smoking two weeks later...

I am planning to spend this evening with my lovely partner, champagne and Jools Holland. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it suits me :0)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home