Monday, January 28, 2008

Traffic, animal health and apple cake

Traffic was bad again this morning but clearly the cause is invisible roadworks. You spend quarter of an hour not moving, then when you do get to where you thought the hold up was, there’s nothing to show why you spent 15 minutes of your life (that you won’t get back) twiddling your thumbs, needing a wee and wondering how likely it is as the age of 34, and with no voice to speak of, that you might suddenly become a honky tonk singer.

My new book – the Christmas present – is fascinating. It’s called Wild Health ‘lessons in natural wellness from the animal kingdom’ by Cindy Engel (a biology Ph.D.) and I can’t put it down. I’m actually underlining things as I go. Not only is it interesting, but very well written as well. I re-read bits in case I missed anything! I’ve put the back cover blurb at the bottom, but before you all rush out to buy it, I am told it’s quite hard to get hold of. Clearly you can get it but there may be a bit of a wait…

So that’s put me in a very good mood. Good books always do. We also had a lovely weekend – see prev. entry – and someone at Abbey bank was actually helpful this morning. I know! I was surprised as well. Although it wasn’t enough to remove them from my top five worst service poll – in fact they’ve buggered up even more since I did that only last week, but it made a nice change. We’ve had a vote for Lewisham Council from Slightly but otherwise the offer to be interactive has fallen on largely deaf ears. It may confirm that nobody reads my blog, or I like to think it’s because I have masses of readers and you all agree with me…

I have fresh homemade bread with Cornish brie and cranberry sauce for lunch as well as a slice of spiced apple cake. Another reason to smile! :0)

Wild Health:
“As Dr. Engel emphasizes in this ‘enticing, well-referenced, [and] entertaining book’ (Science), we can learn a lot about human health by studying animal behaviour in the wild. Indeed, some of the natural, holistic, and alternative human medicine being practiced today arose through the observation of wild animals. In this groundbreaking work, Dr. Engel offers intriguing examples of how animals prevent and cure sickness and poisonings, heal open wounds, balance their diets and regulate fertility.”

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home