Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Here's a thought, get a job!

My day job is in housing doing press, communications, information, blah… anyway, I received an email this morning from someone who wants a council house because they have to do their college work on the floor and the bathroom gets busy in the morning and so it sometimes makes them late. It’s a tragic tale I’m sure you’ll agree. I wanted to write back, "clearly college is not working out for you (and we accept that bizarrely, it’s all our fault), but I have a suggestion: give up on college and get a f*cking job instead!"

Yes I know I sound like a hateful Daily Mail reader but when did welfare become a right for all and sundry? Welfare (inc. housing provision) is to support those that need it; it’s a safety net, it’s not for people who have to queue for the bathroom and don’t like it. We’ve got women fleeing domestic violence staying at B&B’s with their children – living in one room – for months on end and this young lady thinks her needs are greater than theirs… grrr!

I receive similar emails on a fairly regular basis: my son won’t get a job and won’t go to college and I think it’s about time he moved out and got his own place…

And that’s our problem, how?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home