Friday, April 04, 2008

Mad Max

I’m training a hyper-active Westie called Max and today we had a breakthrough that left his owner open mouthed – although it did involve me gently pinning him to the ground and him squealing with indignation! In case it isn’t obvious, I didn’t hurt him. He has one main problem – dominance, and whilst this normally manifests itself in excitement and disobedience, he’s not above biting when he can’t get his own way.

We went to the park, Max, his owner, Pluto and me. I wanted Pluto to do in dog terms what we were starting to do in human terms, dominate Max and make him a pack follower not a pack leader and it worked a charm! Pluto was brilliant and Max thought he was fantastic. He was totally submissive and followed Mr P all over the park. We then went back to the owner’s house and Max started to get more and more excited until he started biting – hence the wrestling move of pining him to the carpet. After which everything changed, he let himself be groomed (he won’t usually allow it), enjoyed a game of fetch and then went into the dog cage that he’s never used before and fell asleep. When I left he gave me a kiss... He was totally exhausted by the end of it all, not just physically but mentally as well. We have a lot still to do, but today he did really well and I was very pleased.

I’ve also had to fit in a doctor’s appointment, interviewing a new cleaner, grocery shopping and work... unfortunately I still have work to do so guess what I’ll be doing this evening!? But if you cram lots into your day that’s what happens...

I’m looking forward to the weekend though tomorrow it's a day out with the missus and the dog and on Sunday, lunch with a friend. I love weekends!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home