Monday, March 05, 2007

Don't bother to knock...

I can’t work. I’m that tired that I really can’t work. So far I’ve finished reading New Scientist, drank an orange juice, sent a few emails (OK work emails) and stared at my computer screen desperately wishing the day away so I can go home. Terrible really. Nobody takes my suggestion of job naps seriously but trust me it would work; people would be happier and productivity would go up…

Carphone Warehouse still hasn’t replied to my numerous complaints and communications although I will be writing to them AGAIN after having to phone them AGAIN. They “forgot” to lift the bar on my phone. Incidentally I am still paying line rental for all the times that I cannot use my phone through no fault of my own. That’s how they get rich I guess.

A packed weekend: rugby on Saturday (we lost) and a friend’s birthday drinks in the evening. Sunday was visiting some more friends who have had a baby, then more birthday drinks with some other friends in Hampstead and then neighbour drinks with the boys upstairs in the evening. And before you ask, no this isn’t hangover tiredness I was driving everywhere. No wonder I’m tired.

Here’s something topical and I think, very frightening, Bailiffs may be getting the power to break into your home even without a court order. Despite the fact that bailiffs – I won’t call them what I usually call them but I think it’s fair to say they operate on the very lowest rungs of society – have an appalling track record of abuse and scare tactics, our government are currently debating the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement bill which could see them kicking their way through a door near you.

But why so vexed Allison? Are you in debt? Well, I actually don’t have much debt at all, but previously after being made redundant, I have fallen behind with payments in hard times and temporarily paid less (or even none) of what I was supposed to in even harder times. But debt isn’t necessarily the key here. With identity fraud and bad administration you could end up being liable for someone else’s debts and potentially, a thug in a badly fitting suit could be breaking in to your home to grab your TV and stereo…

I’ll be writing to my MP about this. If someone deliberately runs up debt or would rather buy designer clothes than pay their rent, then they need to be dealt with swiftly and effectively. But how is this law going to protect our most vulnerable people in society? How is it going to stop a poorly regulated industry rife with badly trained, aggressive individuals who lie and scare people and regularly inflate their own costs (therefore compounding the debt) from basically acting like they are the law? How far will it go? I cannot understand how this is even being debated. It absolutely horrifies me and is another example of this government trying to erode our civil liberties. Well done Mr Blair, I supported you for far longer than was popular, but if you think this is a good idea then you are a fool.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home