Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Nothing comes to mind

Shoulder still bad. I did sleep a little better last night though. Hope I am more mobile and the very painful spasms have stopped by Friday when I’ve got a lot of travelling in front of me to get to Dublin emitting the lowest carbon emissions possible: train, ferry, train...
I wish I could find pain killers that worked. Some I can’t take because I am an asthmatic, and the ones I can, even really strong codeine, don’t seem to do much except make me a bit woozy…
Anyway, moaning won’t help. Although it does make me feel temporarily a bit better :0)

I’ve been dropping in and out of the BBC website transfixed by the horrific events at Virginia Tech two days ago. Surely now something must be done about private gun ownership in the US? It is hideously easy to get hold of a gun and pro-gun people were even calling for the laws to be relaxed yesterday, reasoning that if some of the students were able to carry guns, one could have shot the gunman before he killed so many people. Or… as sensible people would reason, if you didn’t make it so easy to buy lethal weapons in the first instance, those that are unstable enough to want to commit murderous acts, would not find it so easy to walk into a gun store and then weeks later, walk into schools and universities tooled up like Rambo. I actually don’t think it’s the right time for this kind of debate yet. It needs to happen. There needs to be a thorough investigation, but right now, it’s just unseemly to blame US domestic policy as if that alone were responsible. But I would question, what message do young people in particular get about the society in which they live where guns proliferate and violence is celebrated, not just in the US, but everywhere?
I wish all of those people that were injured a speedy recovery, and I hope everyone that lost loved ones get the answers and the support they need to get through each day…

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home