Thursday, April 26, 2007

There is such a thing as a free lunch

My project that was due to launch on Tuesday has finally been launched today – problems with printers – and we’re going out for a work lunch to celebrate. But due to not having a Christmas lunch this year (for a variety of reasons) we’re also having that today so we’re not coming back to the office! Not a boozy one for me though – I’m driving as per. The member of staff that I keep having hassle with doesn’t want to go. Suits me, and it suits the team because she can cover the phones. No explanation as to why she wouldn’t want to spend this lovely sunny afternoon with her colleagues, enjoying a free and very nice lunch (eaten at this place before and its v. v. nice).

We went to a book launch last night. A friend of ours – a history academic – was a contributory author on a book about homosexuality through the ages! Looks like a cracking read. Can’t remember the title, but the cover features the famous picture by Banksy of two policemen kissing. It was lovely to celebrate his success with him (it’s actually his second book and I doubt it will be his last). But it wasn’t all about him, we got something out of it too… a gooseberry bush (well, and I bought a book about South African history but that aside…). The friend and his partner have a gooseberry bush and no space for it (their garden is crammed full of flowers, fruit and veg) and so have offered it to us and we gladly accepted!

My fire pit arrived yesterday! OK, for those of you that are now looking a bit blank. It’s a very American thing and indeed, my first rather pleasant experience of a fire pit was in a friend’s stunning garden in San Fran having a BBQ that lasted until 4 in the morning. You can get various designs I’m sure, but ours is a fairly large black iron bowl, with short legs (that can be put anywhere in the garden you like). And it’s just like having a real fire indoors, in the winter, except this is outdoors and means we can stay in the garden until all hours during the summer and in fact, whenever the weather is mild…

My last rugby meeting of the season, indeed, ever, this Sunday. I’m resigning after three years of press duties to enjoy more time doing other things and trying other challenges. It will be so nice to have a break from committee duties. One thing people never realise is how much work and time goes into behind the scenes – of any club or organisation, not just ours.

Talking of work, I suppose I’d better get some done… before I take the afternoon off to enjoy a free lunch!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home