Monday, May 14, 2007

One foot in Sydenham, one foot in Cornwall and the world in between




So much to blog about that I’ll have to keep it brief… as I said, our broadband no longer works (major disaster for all sorts of reasons, not least I work from home every week), so I haven’t been able to blog about some of the lovely things that have been happening.

We spent a long weekend in Devon at my partner’s aunt and uncle’s fabulous house overlooking Plymouth Sands. We went sailing on the Saturday and I proved not only to have a sturdy pair of sea legs (it’s the rugby player thighs!) but an aptitude for sailing generally. I steered all the way over to Cornwall! But as if that wasn’t enough. The most magical thing happened. A school of wild dolphins played around the boat for about 15 minutes. It was such a privilege to be so close and my partner’s uncle (who sails a lot) said he had never seen so many. We dropped anchor and had a lovely lunch before clambering aboard the dinghy (with all the dignity of a baby elephant) and heading into Caulsands. Now I like ice cream and it’s true that in my time, I have eaten quite a lot of it – some bad, some good, some gorgeous. But truly I have found the best icecream in the world and it is Cornish and comes in a sugar cone. We all had a double scoop and I had strawberry and honey comb. It was massive but if I could have hired a second and third stomach I’d still be there now…

The next day we caught up with my partner’s cousin and her partner and went for a few drinks and a drive through some beautiful Cornish countryside. We headed home on the Monday and then spent the rest of our week off pottering around the house and garden, enjoying each other’s company, eating well and throwing out all the jetsom and flotsam that sneaks in when we’re not looking to fill up drawers, cupboards, storage boxes and book shelves.

I feel much more rested now, but I can’t deny that I’m a little sad to be back at work. We have plans for our future that I want to happen now! Being stuck in an office questioning whether what you do is really all that important is not how I want to be spending my days. I want fresh air and a new direction! But you know what, plans are afoot and it may just happen sooner rather than later ;0)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home