Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hold 'em

I’m better thanks for asking. Not that you did. Tsk! And I must have just left before the flowers arrived…

Clearly it was a 24 hour thing that left with the same unseemly haste as it arrived. I’m a little washed out but otherwise OK and back in the saddle… or work, as it’s more commonly known.

I had a one-to-one with my manager today. It’s never particularly arduous – she thinks I do a good job, I think she’s right – but I’m always glad when they are over. Meetings make me fidget. I suspect in this case it’s because I know I could do better but I have allowed malaise, boredom and a bit of sloppiness to creep in. I don’t feel very fulfilled at work and consequently I struggle very hard to stay on track. Everything gets done, mostly to a very high standard but like my maths teacher always used to say, I really do need to try harder…

I have challenged some friends to a poker game. The only problem is I don’t know how to play. Well, I used to play when I was a kid, but I suspect it was a variant of several different pokers with a dash of making it up as we went along and I’m pretty sure this won’t wash now that I’m a grown up and will be playing for big money… pennies actually, but still, it’s the real deal. In fact the last time I played was in religious studies when my cards got confiscated by the teacher who thought it inappropriate to be gambling in a lesson devoted to religious teaching. Anyway, I bought a DVD ‘The Basics of Poker’. I’m hoping it won’t bore me to tears. More than that though I’m hoping it will transform this mild-mannered contact lens wearing office worker by day, into a high stakes poker genius by night…

Right, I'm yawning so I should head home as I think I've come to the end of my usefulness today. Until the next time...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home