Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Blind panic

It’s a wonderful day – although it had a bumpy start and I now know why the expression “blind panic” exists…

When I gel my hair (this is fascinating stuff…) I take off my engagement ring but otherwise I never take it off. This morning, I did my hair and was fairly convinced that I had put the ring back on. I got to the park and was walking round with a another dog walker friend when I realised that I hadn’t got my ring on – but then seeing as I didn’t have my watch on either, I assumed I had left both at home. I went straight to bathroom when I got back but no ring. That’s pretty much when I started to panic…

Where was it? If I lost it in the park, it would be really difficult to find and someone else might pick it up. How much of a reward should I offer on the posters I was drafting in my mind? We searched the car and the kitchen and the bathroom and we were getting ready to go back to the park to search together when my partner suddenly pointed at my right hand. To my complete and utter bewilderment, there was my ring, on the ring finger of the right hand! I have never put my ring on that finger, and how could I not have seen it? I’m still baffled – but also delighted of course. It’s now back where it belongs on my left hand. Clearly as I wasn’t expecting to see it on my hand, my brain didn’t register that it was there. I felt a bit of an idiot though.

I’ve almost made up my mind not to look for another job. As I mentioned previously on this here blog, I’m pretty fed-up with work, and don’t like what is being done to the organisation as a whole. My response was to look for another job and I even got as far as getting an interview but at the back of my mind I was always questioning how sensible it is – when I plan to move by the end of the year – to jump into another job, barely get settled and then have to leave that. Not just was it sensible, but was it fair to another employer to not tell them of my plans and then leave almost as soon as I had begun? So I think I’m going to hang on in there. I can’t quite commit to saying for definite that I will stay because that makes me feel really miserable and trapped! But I can be quite a level-headed, practical soul and I know it would look better on my CV to leave the job because I am moving to another part of the country; rather than saying I left because I thought the ratio of idiots to normal hard working people was way too high…

My pay has also gone up again and I have to be honest, in a year of big changes, every penny helps!

Our hen house should be here by Thursday. It’s a small Cornish company that are making the house and run and they make each one individually. When my partner called to enquire when it might arrive, she could practically here them banging the nails in there and then. Sadly, one of the chickens was eaten by a fox, but our neighbour is buying us another one to replace her! We did say that it wasn’t necessary but he’s a lovely man and was very insistent. We already planned to take a couple of bottles of wine round, but also, when the chooks start laying, to bake him a big cake to say thank you.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home