Friday, April 21, 2006

Groundforce

I have clean drains! It’s so exciting… dyno-stud came back with a friend because the job was a little labour intensive. The tenants before me had, shall we say, different standards to the missus and I. Not only did they leave the place filthy but they only ever cooked it seemed, using fat and grease. Anyway, the last trace of them was forcefully rodded into oblivion yesterday and to celebrate, on the way back from the farm, my neighbour and I stopped at B&Q to get some garden stuff. We worked late into the evening, removing all the ivy (Jesus, that stuff is rampant!), cleaning and sweeping down the concrete (lot’s of hot water and elbow grease) and then we edged the concrete area with wooden posts and laid down 375 litres of red chip bark! It looks great and far less gloomy than it did before. And I’m beginning to see it as an area that has far more potential than previously either of us thought. To save space in the garden, I think I might put the bar-b-q there, and we will definitely be able to fit in a small grow house, as well as the fragrant flowers we both wanted. This means in the main area of the garden, there will be more space for grass and plants! We also patched up the fence yesterday so it’s less likely to collapse if someone stands near it and sneezes. It’s not great, but it’ll do.
I was stood in the dark, in the bedroom last night looking out onto the newly laid bark. The flowers my partner bought me before she went away, and which I’ve kept in the bedroom, were heavy with scent, and it was a lovely mild evening so the window was wide open and for the first time I could picture the garden coming together slowly: rather than seeing it as a collection of jobs. I think my partner will be pleased. I’m not telling her how much we’ve done and from the sounds of it, she hasn’t got time to check my blog – and there are much fewer facilities where she is to do so anyway!
We visited the boarding kennels in the afternoon. We got lost a couple of times but eventually made it. It’s a proper farm with a variety of animals; horses, swans, ducks and of course lot’s of dogs! Overall I was happy with it although they only get one walk a day and Pluto does love his walks. Apparently though they get lots of other exercise and attention. I’m going to check a few more including a lady that home boards. I’m never going to be truly satisfied or happy. But as long as he is safe, comfortable, well fed and someone makes a fuss of him then it will have to do. It’s only for a week! There was a dog in there that is staying till September because his owner has gone travelling…
I think if he has an old t-shirt of mine, his blanket, his Kangy Woo and some chew toys it will help remind him that he has a loving home and that he is coming back to it very soon.
I’m feeling positive and full of action at the moment so am looking forward to decorating this weekend. And today also marks the first full week of my partner’s absence so that means only two weeks to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home