Monday, November 06, 2006

They only ever sell me poppies with magnets attached...

I like wearing a poppy but I keep losing them. So far in the last week, I’ve bought three poppies (and lost three poppies) and spent over £7 on all three. I'm beginning to think they attach wee magnets to them and then as soon as my back is turned whip them off me and back into the box…
I’m convinced that when a proud old soldier seems me walking towards him sans poppy he thinks ‘bloody youngsters (not so young but in a flattering light…) they just don’t care!’ I do care, but it appears I’m care-less. I have a lot of respect for our forces and just hope that when I buy my fourth – and I hope my final – poppy today, I manage to keep it long enough to demonstrate that.

We took my mum to Whitstable on Saturday, for her birthday. It was a lovely day. Whitstable itself is fantastic, full of the most interesting shops. And then of course there’s the harbour. We ate a fabulous lunch at the Crab and Winkle restaurant overlooking the harbour, and bought some fresh, locally caught sea bass to take home. I bought some secondhand books, a doggy advent calendar (with doggy chocs), a toy for his upcoming birthday, two gorgeous egg custard tarts (both for me) and some organic ale called Whitstable Bay (sadly, not all for me). Mum had a great day, loved lunch and all her presents, and paid me three, yes three, compliments about my driving. Which in itself almost made me veer of the road. If you want a day out, it really is a lovely place and only an hour and a half away.

My new lens arrived today. It’s a big bastard; 70-210mm. I bought it from eBay and am very pleased with it. I’ve also bid on (and won) an old Canon film SLR for £32 with tele-foto lens and flash!

Anyway, back at work and back to reality… until I can get home and play with the camera anyway!

PS. The dog really suffered with all the fireworks this weekend and the one-year old twins next door weren't impressed either. If people want to do private displays, please let your neighbours know and don't let them off all night... choose a time and get them over with. I love fireworks, but I'm painfully aware that some (dogs and humans) get really scared. Being considerate goes a long, long way...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home