Monday, October 23, 2006

High class drama

I’ve barely been out of the car this weekend, and it’s been fab! Tellingly I am considerably less sore in the whole knee area than I would have been had I done as much as I did in the last two days but relied on public transport.
On Saturday we had a fundraiser to attend in Kings Cross that my partner had organised. A great night and another chance to see the DUC (Dulwich Ukulele Club) perform. They just get better. We had phoned up during the day and the venue – O’Neill’s pub – said I could park in their garage so we had free, secure parking in the middle of London! Driving over we hit torrential rain – and I do mean torrential. Visibility was very poor but I kept my head and we arrived without incident. After the event I was able to give two friends a lift home, one of whom was heavily pregnant and very glad not to have to worry about tubes and buses. So we dropped them off in West Hampstead and then headed back to our part of the world; again without a hitch. In fact the drive back was quick and pleasant.
Sunday we popped along to Sainsbugs and spent a hideous amount of money. The only downside to having a car, you bulk buy! After which, we took the dog to the park and then headed over to Balham to have dinner with my partner’s parents. Apart from some shitty junctions and a very confusing road system in places, we again zipped along in ease and comfort.
We didn’t get back too late and watched the last part of Prime Suspect. Helen Mirran played a blinder! The script and acting was at times uncomfortable and claustrophobic as real life often is. And there was a superb balance between long, slow shots highlighting her drinking problems and her father’s death, and the speed at which the investigation and action were conducted. The character’s alcoholism was brilliantly captured and showed how devastating addiction can be, and the bravery of those that choose to get help. Sorry to go on, but intelligent, thoughtful and powerful drama should always be celebrated; as should intelligent, thoughtful and powerful female actors.

This morning I’m really tired after only four hours sleep but otherwise don’t feel too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home