Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Chesty

Well, it’s been a busy old time of it, hence the lack of blogging! I’m currently off work with a chest infection and am feeling like crap… but I thought I’d use the chance to do an entry.
Friday was our rugby club annual dinner. Very well organised, gorgeous food but honestly, not really my thing. I don’t know why. As I say, it was very well done, lots of food and wine (to a high standard) and a great after dinner speaker; Past President Robert Horner. To be fair, I was unwell so perhaps there was an element of just not being on my game, also it was our AGM in two days time and there was a lot of stress around that. And I did get heartily sick of talking shop that night! We went to Barcode (Vauxhall) afterwards and I managed to get a seat! How old does that make me sound?! We were in a hip nightmare of neon lights and all I wanted was to sit down and change my shoes!! We hopped in a taxi home about two hours later and I collapsed into an empty bed – my partner was in Hove again for two days looking after her grandparents.
Saturday, I spent the day trying to rest but to no avail I was full-blown ill but we had a bar-b-q to go to, hosted by some lovely friends of ours, Blake and Ed. My partner was coming straight from Hove and meeting me there. And this shows you what a good evening it was: despite being full of lurgy, I had a great time! I thought I would be heading home around 9 or 10pm but we had to get the last train home…
Blake's groovy retro bar-b-q was the belle of the ball and all of us bar-b-q'ers felt very inferior... barbie envy, it's not pretty.
Sunday was the AGM. There were three contested positions so people were getting very uptight about who was standing. One of the candidates sent around an ill-advised ‘vote for me’ email and basically there was a lot of stress and bitching. Surprisingly the meeting went without a hitch, the best people got the jobs and perhaps we can all get back to doing this shit because it’s fun…
But ultimately it was all too much and now I’m off work. I tried really hard to rest, take medicine and avoid the booze, but the infection had already taken hold by Thursday last week. I hate being sick (a) because I’m not a great patient and become quite withdrawn (b) I get very guilty about being off work almost as if I’m letting people down or am just not as ill as I think…
My partner is under the cosh a little at the moment; long hours, lot’s of work etc., etc. And being ill, I’m not in a very good position to support her. I’m hoping she’s taking some time off though at the end of this week.
We’re both really looking forward to the party this Saturday (a little nervous because neither of us can remember how many people are coming!). There is a corner of our kitchen completely taken over with booze, soft drinks and party paraphernalia. Of course, right now I’m crossing fingers and toes that I’ll be better. We were hoping that some of the many plants we have on order would arrive in time for the party, but it's looking increasingly unlikely. Never mind, the garden is looking good and lit up with candles it's going to look reel preddy.
I bought Pluto a trendy collar for the party, so he should look even more handsome than usual. Now I just need to decide what I'm wearing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home